Start Dating killiney

Dating killiney

The work at Louvain resulted in a great collection of manuscripts in Irish and Latin.

In the previous summer some friars took a number of the most valuable manuscripts to St. The holdings in our Roman archives were hidden and saved in 1798-99 when the French occupied Rome, but during the second occupation (1810-14) they were confiscated and removed to Paris, with other libraries and archives.

In 1817 they were returned, with some valuable manuscripts missing.

Bernardino dal Vago da Portogruaro, the Minister General, when granting his permission, stipulated that the manuscripts were to remain in the custody of the Irish Franciscans, and not to pass into secular control.

During World War II, they were removed from Dublin, by order of the de Valera government, to save them from possible destruction and the manuscripts were kept in Multyfarnham friary, 1940-45.

The Franciscan Order has a long tradition of scholarship.

Its Irish Province, founded in 1230, has a tradition which is very distinctively Irish as well as Franciscan.

Franciscans, Dún Mhuire, Seafield Road, Killiney, Co. A96 R590Tel: (01) 2826760 Fax: (01) 2826993 e-mail: [email protected]: 53.250503 -6.115029 Dún Mhuire was established in Killiney, Co.

Dublin in 1945 as a house of studies, a friary with a specialised apostolate in the fields of Franciscan history and Celtic studies.

Because there was reason to fear that the manuscripts at St.

Isidore’s would be seized and perhaps destroyed, our friars took the initiative. Luke Carey’s efforts, some of the valuable holdings – Irish manuscripts, Wadding’s correspondence, other papers and medieval codices – were transferred to our Dublin friary in 1873.

Due to war, persecution and confiscation Irish Franciscan scholarship had its base overseas from the beginning of the 17th century, especially in St. Isidore’s College, Rome from 1625, two great centres of learning and religion to which the Irish Church and the Irish nation have acknowledged their indebtedness.